Download the article here: What Your Puppy Would Like You to Know (35 downloads)
1. If I am not executing a behavior correctly, it is because I do not fully understand what you are asking me to do.
2. If you get frustrated with me, then I will become frustrated and will no longer be able to learn for that moment.
3. Train me in small increments so that I may dazzle you with my effort to understand what you are asking me to do.
4. I really want to do the correct behavior and please you.
5. You can expect me to be perfect when you are perfect.
6. If I get a behavior right, please do not forget to reward me so that I know I am right. Or I will most likely offer an alternative behavior the next time.
7. Be consistent with your signals. Our future as a dynamic team depends on it.
8. If you are not sure of what you are doing, how can I be sure of what you want me to do?
9. Maybe you could practice with your pretend puppy before you confuse me.
10. I want to play with you but when you get angry at me I become afraid to play and avoid the game.
11. Thank you for taking the time to train me. That shows me that you care.
12. Be tolerant of the sometimes slow process of teaching me a new behavior and I will do my very best to please you.
13. If I am not getting it, you need to change the way you are training it……